She Watched Her Dad Transform Into a Great Leader… Then Her Community Changed
Watch Out! The Summit could change your life!
Before attending the Summit, Bill Burke considered himself more of a “helper” than a leader—even though his leadership gift was evident to the people around him. “People always wanted to work with him,” Bill’s daughter Meghan says. “Our family moved around the country for the global accounting firm he was with, and at every church we attended, the leadership team asked him to be the treasurer. He also volunteered for everything, and was respected by all as a leader, even though he saw himself more as a helper.”
Meghan’s parents began attending the Global Leadership Summit in the 90s. At the time, her dad was a partner at Ernst and Young and served as an elder at their local church.
Over the years attending the Summit, Meghan saw her dad transform into the great leader he is today as he realized and developed his gift.
The Summit gave Bill the skills he needed to serve as chairman of the board of Elders while the church searched for a senior pastor. “He faithfully led the church through a challenging season, which played a role in him discovering his leadership skills,” Meghan said.
At the Summit, Bill sensed God giving him a grander vision, and this is where Meghan saw the biggest change. “With his success, he was comfortable. He could have retired early, but he chose instead to follow a calling and use his business skills as the executive pastor at Grace Chapel in Lexington, Massachusetts,” Meghan said. “He’s been there now for the last 11 years, leading the church and helping them open three additional campuses—something that hadn’t really happened yet at the time in New England, which research shows is the least churched region in the United States.”
Because of the Summit, Bill has developed into a leader of great influence, something that has not only impacted his daughter, but also his entire community. Meghan is thankful for the way the Summit brought out the best in her dad. These are the seven characteristics that most stand out to her:
- He brings out the best in people by expecting a lot and holding people accountable, in a caring and personal way.
- His teams have always known he cares about them.
- He doesn’t shy away from difficult conversations. He knows what to say and how to say it.
- He keeps the big picture in mind and isn’t afraid to do hard, potentially unpopular things to get there.
- He is what Jim Collins describes as a Level 5 Leader
- He is more focused on building and leading healthy teams who work together to accomplish goals, rather than accomplishing the goal at all costs – or at the expense of the team.
- His faith drives him. When appropriate, while at Ernst and Young, he shared with his colleagues that his faith was what drives him at work and elsewhere.
Because Bill said yes to God’s leadership call and took the challenge to step out of his comfort zone, he now gets to be a part of helping change eternities in New England.
Meghan says every leader can be impacted by the Summit, even when they don’t know they’re a leader. “The Summit gives me a glimpse into God’s redemptive power through the local church,” she says. “Everyone is a leader in some capacity and the Summit can provide space for your head and your heart to develop and inspire this part of your life. Don’t miss the opportunity. The Summit is one of the only places I know of where religious and secular leaders come to learn from each other.”
Meghan cautions people to Watch Out! “The Summit could change your life in unexpected ways, just like it changed the life of my dad, Bill Burke.”
We welcome and encourage comments on this site. There may be some instances where comments will need to be edited or removed, such as:
- Comments deemed to be spam or solely promotional in nature
- Comments not relevant to the topic
- Comments containing profane, offensive, or abusive language
- Anonymous comments
If you have any questions on the commenting policy, please let us know at email@example.com
Equip, encourage & inspire global leaders with a gift today
When you give to the Global Leadership Development Fund, your gift inspires and equips Christian leaders, facilitating transformation in some of the world’s most challenging environments.