Craig Groeschel: Heart Over HeadPublished August 13, 2019
TOPICS IN THIS ARTICLELeading Yourself
The following are notes from Craig Groeschel’s closing talk at #GLS19. Use them to help you apply the content you learned at the Summit.
The power of emotions in leadership.
- As a leader, to really move you, you have to connect with your heart not just your head
- The best leaders don’t let emotions interfere with business
- Emotions are not only relevant but the catalyst to change and growth
- The fastest way to change someone’s mind is to connect with their heart
Information: Here’s what I want people to know.
Action: Here’s what I want people to do.
- Knowledge alone rarely leads to action
- Knowledge leads to conclusions
- Emotions lead to actions
- Don’t change the message but the method in which we reach people
As leaders, how do we create the emotion that moves people to action?
1. Share Stories Purposefully
- Stories stick, facts fade
- People are processing what you say with one of two processors in their brain
- Emotional Processor: Automatic and unconscious
- Logical Processor: Control, conscious, functions slower and takes more focus
- When you use a story, you connect the heart of emotions to the strength of logic igniting a powerful action
Simon Sinek quote: “People work for a what, but they’ll give their lives for a why.”
How do you do this?
Share stories purposefully.
2. Choose Words Deliberately
- The words you choose determine the emotions people feel
- Vision of values help drive culture that should be burned on our hearts not words on a wall
- If your vision doesn’t inspire you, if your values don’t scare you or move you, they’re too dull, small and safe
- The power of words, create emotions around values
3. Show Vulnerability Thoughtfully
- You can do it irresponsibly
- We may impress people with our strength, but we connect through our weakness
- The moment you slow down and open up, you’re engaged on a whole new level
- Your heart bonds and there’s a real power and connection
- Show people what’s in your heart and what you value
- Help people know who you are
- Lead with vision
- Lead with boldness
- Lead with vulnerability
How do we do this? Instruction in Craig’s podcast episode 51 and 53.
- Don’t feel pressured to know it all
- People want to follow a leader who’s than one who’s always right
- What had been stuck and stagnant came back to life
- You’re capable, you’re called, you’re gifted, you’re a masterpiece
Do what leaders do: Step into your calling and embrace your mission.
- Our world needs bold leaders
- Lead with profound humility and cast a vision for a brighter future
- Strive for excellence
- Confront injustice and right wrongs
- Everyone wins when the leader gets better
- Create, inspire, innovate
- Empower people to make a difference in the world.
You are a leader. You have influence.
Never Miss the Powerful Leadership Insights Published Here Regularly!
About the Author
Craig Groeschel is the co-founding and senior pastor of Life.Church—an innovative, pacesetting church meeting around the United States in multiple locations and globally online. Under his leadership, Life.Church takes a missional approach to technology and is known for creating the YouVersion Bible App that has been downloaded in every country of the world. He speaks frequently at conferences worldwide and hosts the Craig Groeschel Leadership Podcast. As a New York Times best-selling author, he has also written several books that are available at http://www.craiggroeschel.com/, including his new release, Hope In The Dark: Believing God is Good When Life is Not. He and his wife, Amy, live in the Edmond, Oklahoma area and have six children.
Years at GLS 2008, 2012, 2015, 2018