Ep 014: Liz Wiseman
Leadership expert Liz Wiseman describes research around the management style of three types of leaders: The “multiplier leader” who amplifies the intelligence of the leaders around them, the “diminisher leader” who exhausts and frustrates the people with whom they interact and the “accidental diminisher” who unintentionally has a diminishing effect.
Get free, instant access to GLS Podcast Episode Show Notes. Leverage episode summaries, key takeaways, reflection questions, resources mentioned, related links and applicable downloads, including Show Notes PDF and Episode Audio File (MP3).
Leadership expert Liz Wiseman describes research around the management style of three types of leaders: The “Multiplier” who amplifies the intelligence of the leaders around them, the “Diminisher” who exhausts and frustrates the people with whom they interact and the “Accidental Diminisher” who unintentionally has a diminishing effect.
- There is latent and unused intelligence all around us.
- The best leaders use their intelligence to amplify the capability of the people around them.
- When you lead like a Multiplier, people around you actually get smarter and more capable.
- Multipliers believe people are smart and will figure it out.
- Diminishers believe no one will figure it out without them.
- Some types of Diminishers are empire builders, tyrants, know-it-alls, decision-makers & micro managers.
- Some types of Multipliers are talent magnets, liberators, challengers, debate-makers & investors.
- Diminishers get less than 50% of people’s talent. Multipliers get 95% of people’s talent.
- Accidental Diminishers are totally unaware they have a diminishing impact.
- Some types of Accidental Diminishers are the idea guy, always on, rescuer, pace setter, rapid responder, optimist.
- Are you leading like the genius? Or are you leading like the genius-maker who creates intelligence within those around you?
- It’s time we realize that the top of the intelligence hierarchy is the genius-maker, not the genius.
- Think about a job where you worked for a Diminisher and complete the items below:
Name of the job:What specific actions did the Diminisher do?How much of your intelligence did they get?
- Think about a job where you worked for a Multiplier and complete the items below:
Name of the job:What specific actions did the Multiplier do?How much of your intelligence did they get?
- Which of the following Accidental Diminisher types do you most identify with? (Click here to take the Accidental Diminisher Quiz)
- Idea Guy
- Always On
- Pace Setter
- Rapid Responder
- What is one thing you could do to work on your Accidental Diminisher tendency?