Ep 077: Multiply Your Time, Rory Vaden & Jason Jaggard
On This Podcast
Brand Builders Group
A recognized expert in business strategy and leadership development, Rory Vaden a New York Times Best-Selling author, and Hall of Fame speaker. Rory’s pioneering firm, Brand Builders Group, specializes in helping leaders become more respected, trusted, recognized and influential. His insights have been featured in The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, CNN, Entrepreneur, Inc, on Fox News and he was named as one of the top 100 leadership speakers in the world by Inc. Magazine and Entrepreneur Magazine calls him “One of the world’s leading productivity thinkers.” Rory’s latest book, Procrastinate on Purpose: 5 Permissions to Multiply Your Time.
Jason Jaggard is an internationally sought-after coach, speaker and author. He is the CEO of Novus Global, an elite executive coaching firm helping leaders and companies take new ground in personal mastery, large scale organizational change, and high performance. He is the creator of Spark Groups, an award-winning 4-week online experience that has facilitated more than 100,000 risks worldwide to increase personal and organizational health. He has a Masters in Entrepreneurial Leadership from the Mosaic Leadership Centre and a Master of Theology from Golden Gate Seminary. He is the author of Spark: Transform Your World One Small Risk at a Time.
- There is no such thing as time management. There is only self-management. You cannot manage time.
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People was a life-changing productivity book, but it was written in 1989. The world has radically changed.
- You can’t solve today’s time management challenges using yesterday’s time management strategies.
- When planning their day, most people use the urgency calculation asking, “What’s the most important thing I can do today?” However, the highest performers use the significance calculation asking, “What can I do today to create more time tomorrow?”
- In the pre-Covid world, people were aware of digital tools but often didn’t take the time to learn them. In a post–Covid world, we were forced to learn online business immediately. Covid accelerated trends that were already happening.
- Automation is to your time what compound interest is to your money.
- Automation allows leaders to scale trust.
- The next generation of cost savings will not be about saving money; it will be about saving time. Time is the one thing that turns money into more money.
- 30x rule: Training someone else will take 30 times longer than doing the job yourself. A task that takes you 5 minutes per day will cost you 1250 minutes in a year. If you take 150 of those minutes and train someone else, you’ve just gained 1100 minutes in your year for a 5-minute task. When you do the significance calculation, the time you spend on training and delegation makes sense.
- For every challenge there is an equal and opposite opportunity. The key is your mindset.
- The Focus Funnel: First question, “What I’m doing now that creating time tomorrow?”
- Eliminate: “What can I stop doing?” Anything I say no to creates time in the future.
- Automate: “What can I create a process for? What do we keep doing over and over again manually?”
- Delegate: “What are we doing over and over that we need to train a person to do?”
- Procrastinate: “What is trivial that I can delay on purpose?”
- Concentrate: “What can I do right now that create more time for me tomorrow?”
- God’s first commandment in the Bible was to be fruitful and multiply.
1. When planning their days, Rory said most people think in terms of urgency, not significance. In what ways do you see yourself falling into the rut of urgency? Why do you think that is?
2. What is the most significant barrier holding you back from using the significance calculation? What would it take for you to be able to move past that barrier?
3. Which of Rory’s 5 Permissions do you want to try first? Make a plan to take action and multiply your time this week.
4. Get access to Rory’s free Multiply Your Time Webinar, exclusive for the GLS audience at roryvaden.com/gls
Show Notes are Exclusively for Podcast Subscribers
Enter your email address to unlock them instantly